Subject: Re: bug#12368: 24.1; x-parse-geometry broken in Emacs 24.1

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 14:22:32 -0400

Jan Djärv wrote:

> x-parse-geometry (non-NS variant) calls XParseGeometry. This may not
> be available. But the W32-prt has an implementation.
>
> It seems as ns-parse-geometry expects "top left with height", i.e.:
>
> (x-parse-geometry "10 5 80 40")
> ((top . 10) (left . 5) (height . 80) (width . 40))
>
> I don't know where this type of geometry is specified, but we could
> support both (if there is a space in the string, it is NS-style, if
> there is a +, -, x orX, it is X-style).
>
> We could move the W32-version of XParseGeometry somewhere common
> (where?) and use that. Or we can rewrite x-parse-geometry in lisp.
>
> Suggestions?

I don't know...
At first I was going to say, rewrite x-parse-geometry in Lisp sounds
simple, especially if you want to handle both style of geometry.
But then since XParseGeometry is standard in X11 and already
reimplemented in w32xfns.c, maybe it's simpler just to use that.
And set_frame_size calls XParseGeometry from C as well (so how does that
work on NS? I see nsfns.m has a stub definition as well).