Subject: Re: bug#12357: 24.2; list-load-path-shadow should ignore .dir-locals.el

From: Leo Liu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2014 08:54:15 +0800

On 2014-03-05 06:29 +0800, Johan Claesson wrote:
> 	* emacs-lisp/shadows.el (load-path-shadows-find): Do not report
> 	.dir-locals.el files. 
> 	(list-dir-locals-shadows): New command that reports shadows of
> 	.dir-locals.el in a way that make sense for that type of file. 
> 	(dir-locals-shadows-find, dir-locals-shadows-find-1)
> 	(dir-locals-class-name, dir-locals-shadows-display): Auxiliary
> 	functions for list-dir-locals-shadows.

I am not too sure what problems are solved by the change.

In the case of list-load-path-shadows, it should print anything when in
doubt since false positives can be helpful. So it is not entirely wrong
to report .dir-locals.el.

Use .dir-locals.el in a child directory to shadow parent directory isn't
uncommon practice. In future we might even make it capable of inheriting
settings in parent directory. So I am not even sure the use case of
listing .dir-locals files (defaulting to the load-path)??

Leo