Subject: 24.2; garbage inserted at the beginning of the buffer even when xterm-extra-capabilities is t

From: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2012 13:16:45 +0200

When I run

  emacs -Q -eval '(setq xterm-extra-capabilities t)' tst.c

on a remote machine via SSH in an xterm, garbage is sometimes inserted
at the beginning of the buffer. Typing "C-h v xterm-extra-capabilities"
confirms that xterm-extra-capabilities is set to t. The comments in the
following bugs

  http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=6758
  http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=11129

say that setting xterm-extra-capabilities to t should be a way to avoid
the bug (and that's the reason why these bugs have been closed). So,
the problem is not solved... or has reappeared.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10)
 of 2012-09-05 on xvii
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr/local/emacs-24.2' '--enable-asserts''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: POSIX
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: en_DK
  value of $LANG: POSIX
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: C/l

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t
  abbrev-mode: t

Recent input:
ESC [ > 0 ; 2 7 8 ; 0 c ESC x r e p o r t - e m TAB 
RET

Recent messages:
("emacs" "-eval" "(setq xterm-extra-capabilities t)" "tst.c")
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
tst.c has auto save data; consider M-x recover-this-file
Auto-saving...done

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils cc-mode cc-fonts easymenu cc-guess cc-menus
cc-cmds cc-styles cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs regexp-opt
time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd
tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)