Subject: Re: bug#12354: 24.2; garbage inserted at the beginning of the buffer even when xterm-extra-capabilities is t

From: Vincent Lefevre <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 8 Sep 2012 13:00:38 +0200

On 2012-09-08 11:57:50 +0200, Andreas Schwab wrote:
> Does this help?

Not tried yet, but due to high-latency connection, several seconds may
be needed. I can see 2 solutions:

  * Have a way to disable this check (early enough, of course),
    letting the user to provide information in another way if he
    wants to benefit from additional features. For instance, how
    about checking an environment variable first, which could hold
    the data Emacs is looking for or just tell Emacs not to do the
    check?
    An environment variable would be fine, as it could be set by
    the terminal (or the initial shell) and transmitted by SSH
    (if the variable name starts with LC_, it wouldn't require
    specific config in practice).

  * Wait *until* the string is sent back by the terminal. Because
    of race condition (due to a possibly high-latency connection),
    Emacs needs to separate user input from the string in question
    (this would be a heuristic, but may work).

-- 
Vincent Lefèvre <[email-masked]> - Web: <http://www.vinc17.net/>
100% accessible validated (X)HTML - Blog: <http://www.vinc17.net/blog/>
Work: CR INRIA - computer arithmetic / AriC project (LIP, ENS-Lyon)