Subject: Re: bug#12339: Bug: rm -fr . doesn't dir depth first deletion yet it

From: Linda Walsh <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 12:21:18 -0700

Alan Curry wrote:
> SGI is dead, Sun is dead, the game's over, we're the winners, and our rm has
> been this way forever.
----
	Until you learn that you are played off by your masters against
others, and that the only real win is a win-win, you are just a losing
pawn in a game.

> I don't think "addressing content" is a clearly defined operation, no matter
> how many times you repeat it.
---
	Until you are able to understand content addressability, you won't
understand the importance or need for doing so.  Without targeted addressing
all you have a blunt intstruments, you might as well go back to bear skins
and stone knives to match the 'we must conquer' mentality, that is it's evolutionary
equal.

> Consistency between tools is a good thing, but consistency between OSes is
> also good, and we'd be losing that if any change was made to GNU rm's default
> behavior. Even OpenSolaris has the restriction: see lines 160-170 of
> http://src.opensolaris.org/source/xref/onnv/onnv-gate/usr/src/cmd/rm/rm.c
----
	Rationalizations to avoid coming to a something that works for everyone.

> A new option that you can put in an alias is really the most realistic goal.
---
	Aliases don't work when you issue 'exec'.  They aren't able to be
exported or inherited by subsequent processes -- something I have asked for
multiple times, for exactly this type of issue.  As it is, you suggest a
cripple solution to deal with crippled functionality.

	You and others are demonstrating the current level of ability they
possess in order to solve problems, and the overriding priority of corporate
compliance.  Diversity is an anathema to your thinking.  In the end
result of control - Gnu seems little different from those the rally against.
It is only their methods that differ, but they both equally end up mandating
their solutions through the means they have.  Is Gnu's distribution process
open or closed source?  And by open -- it includes all the software and codes
necessary to make changes to the distribution. I would think that unlikely.

	This is not an isolated incident.  It may not be tied solely to
gender, but I have had other women comment on similar experiences in the
male-owned software industry.   You are only demonstrating what good
soldiers you are in the service of your masters.