Subject: bug#12332: closed (Re: bug#12332: 24.2.50; forgetting --without-gconf leads to crash at launch)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 11:19:02 +0000

Your bug report

#12332: 24.2.50; forgetting --without-gconf leads to crash at launch

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
12332: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12332
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#12332: 24.2.50; forgetting --without-gconf leads to crash at launch
From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
To: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2012 13:17:04 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello.

2012-09-02 11:46, Peter Dyballa skrev:

>   src/emacs
>
> (process:83853): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2458: initialization assertion failed, use g_type_init() prior to this function
>
> (process:83853): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed
>
> (process:83853): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
> Fatal error (10)Bus error (core dumped)
> Exit 138
>
>

Fixed in trunk.  GConf uses Gobject (where g_type_init is), but does not list 
it as a link time dependency, it apparently is linked in at runtime.  Thus, 
configure for Emacs does not find g_type_init and does not call it.

	Jan D.

Subject: 24.2.50; forgetting --without-gconf leads to crash at launch
From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 2 Sep 2012 11:46:51 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello!

Having configured as

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (i386-apple-darwin10.8.0, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2012-09-02 on Sumac.local
Bzr revision: 109853 [email-masked]
Configured using:
 `configure '--build=x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0'
 '--host=i386-apple-darwin10.8.0' '--target=i386-apple-darwin10.8.0'
 '--with-wide-int' '--without-pop' '--without-sound' '--without-gpm'
 '--without-dbus' '--without-selinux' '--with-x-toolkit=athena'
 '--disable-ns-self-contained' '--without-xpm' '--without-jpeg'
 '--without-tiff' '--without-gif' '--without-png' '--without-rsvg'
 '--x-libraries=/usr/X11/lib' '--x-includes=/usr/X11/include'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
 Support/Emacs/calendar24:/Library/Application Support/Emacs' 'CFLAGS=-g
 -H -pipe -fPIC -fno-common -O0 -march=prescott -mtune=prescott -m32
 -fomit-frame-pointer -msse3 -foptimize-register-move -ftree-vectorize'
 'CPPFLAGS=-I/sw/include' 'LDFLAGS=-L/sw/lib -m32 -Wl,-dead_strip_dylibs
 -Wl,-bind_at_load -Wl,-t' 'CC=gcc-4.2' 'CXX=g++-4.2'
 'PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/xft2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/lib\
/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig'
 'build_alias=x86_64-apple-darwin10.8.0'
 'host_alias=i386-apple-darwin10.8.0'
 'target_alias=i386-apple-darwin10.8.0''

GNU Emacs uses

	/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib/libfontconfig.1.dylib (compatibility version 8.0.0, current version 8.2.0)
	/sw/lib/freetype219/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib (compatibility version 16.0.0, current version 16.0.0)
	/sw/lib/gnutls28/libgnutls.28.dylib (compatibility version 36.0.0, current version 36.1.0)
	/sw/lib/libMagickCore.5.dylib (compatibility version 6.0.0, current version 6.0.0)
	/sw/lib/libMagickWand.5.dylib (compatibility version 6.0.0, current version 6.0.0)
	/sw/lib/libXaw3d.8.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current version 9.1.0)
	•/sw/lib/libgconf-2.4.dylib (compatibility version 6.0.0, current version 6.5.0)
	•/sw/lib/libglib-2.0.0.dylib (compatibility version 2201.0.0, current version 2201.4.0)
	/sw/lib/libm17n-core.0.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
	/sw/lib/libm17n-flt.0.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
	/sw/lib/libotf.0.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/sw/lib/libxml2.2.dylib (compatibility version 11.0.0, current version 11.0.0)
	/sw/lib/ncurses/libncurses.5.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
	/sw/lib/xft2/lib/libXft.2.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
	/usr/X11/lib/libICE.6.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	/usr/X11/lib/libSM.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.0.0)
	/usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current version 9.0.0)
	/usr/X11/lib/libXmu.6.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current version 9.0.0)
	/usr/X11/lib/libXrender.1.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
	/usr/X11/lib/libXt.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 125.2.11)

but fails to launch:

 src/emacs

(process:83853): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: gtype.c:2458: initialization assertion failed, use g_type_init() prior to this function

(process:83853): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_new: assertion `G_TYPE_IS_OBJECT (object_type)' failed

(process:83853): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed
Fatal error (10)Bus error (core dumped)
Exit 138

On Mac OS X 10.6.8. Using --without-gconf a working GNU Emacs is built:

	/sw/lib/fontconfig2/lib/libfontconfig.1.dylib (compatibility version 8.0.0, current version 8.2.0)
	/sw/lib/freetype219/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib (compatibility version 16.0.0, current version 16.0.0)
	/sw/lib/gnutls28/libgnutls.28.dylib (compatibility version 36.0.0, current version 36.1.0)
	/sw/lib/libMagickCore.5.dylib (compatibility version 6.0.0, current version 6.0.0)
	/sw/lib/libMagickWand.5.dylib (compatibility version 6.0.0, current version 6.0.0)
	/sw/lib/libXaw3d.8.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current version 9.1.0)
	/sw/lib/libm17n-core.0.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
	/sw/lib/libm17n-flt.0.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
	/sw/lib/libotf.0.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 1.0.0)
	/sw/lib/libxml2.2.dylib (compatibility version 11.0.0, current version 11.0.0)
	/sw/lib/ncurses/libncurses.5.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
	/sw/lib/xft2/lib/libXft.2.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
	/usr/X11/lib/libICE.6.dylib (compatibility version 10.0.0, current version 10.0.0)
	/usr/X11/lib/libSM.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.0.0)
	/usr/X11/lib/libX11.6.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current version 9.0.0)
	/usr/X11/lib/libXmu.6.dylib (compatibility version 9.0.0, current version 9.0.0)
	/usr/X11/lib/libXrender.1.dylib (compatibility version 5.0.0, current version 5.0.0)
	/usr/X11/lib/libXt.6.dylib (compatibility version 7.0.0, current version 7.0.0)
	/usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib (compatibility version 1.0.0, current version 125.2.11)

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Debugging? Klingons do not debug. Our software does not coddle the weak."