Subject: bug#12331: closed (Re: bug#12331: 24.1; completing-read when COLLECTION has exactly one element)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 12:58:02 +0000

Your bug report

#12331: 24.1; completing-read when COLLECTION has exactly one element

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
12331: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12331
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#12331: 24.1; completing-read when COLLECTION has exactly one element
From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2012 07:55:34 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.3

2012-09-23  Roland Winkler  <[email-masked]>

	* ibuf-ext.el (ibuffer-switch-to-saved-filter-groups): If list
	ibuffer-saved-filter-groups has one element, shortcut the call of
	completing-read.  (Bug#12331)

Subject: 24.1; completing-read when COLLECTION has exactly one element
From: "Roland Winkler" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 01 Sep 2012 20:38:23 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Suggestion:

If the arg COLLECTION of completing-read is a list with exactly one
element and REQUIRE-MATCH is t, it can be quite redundant to go via
the minibuffer. Would it make sense if in such a case
completing-read could skip the minibuffer completely and simply
return the car of COLLECTION?

The specific situation that made me think about this was the command
ibuffer-switch-to-saved-filter-groups when
ibuffer-saved-filter-groups is a list with one element. Of course,
the surrounding code could also shortcut the call of completing-read
in such a case. But completing-read is possibly the better place to
implement such a behavior, say via a particular value of
REQUIRE-MATCH.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.1)
 of 2012-06-10 on regnitz
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.10706000
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/home/winkler/emacs/24.1''