Subject: bug#12321: 24.2.50; `read-regexp' parameter DEFAULT-VALUE and the calculated defaults

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 1 Sep 2012 09:52:44 -0700

> Do you think your new report could be merged with bug#7567?
> 
> PS: See also http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/134852
> and http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.devel/104590

Good question.
Wrt bug #7567 and the first URL you mention: I think not.

Bug #7567 has a long and winding road, that is not particularly coherent.  I
don't see that it touches on what I reported at all.  But if it does then the
touching is probably tangential.  Please keep this bug separate.

The only thing in common with the first URL you cite is the part about the
prompt string.  If you like, you can ignore that part of bug @12321, at least
for now.

The second URL you sent is germane, yes.  Eli's point/question is the same one I
raise in bug #12321.  But he did not file a bug report.

The detour in the second URL thread, which you introduced (changing the Subject
line - thank you for that), is not germane, AFAICT.  But the main thread, with
the original subject line, is pertinent.

AFAICT, the issue raised by Eli (and now by me) was never addressed.  The URL
thread ended with no real answer wrt this issue.

In sum, bug #12321 stands on its own.  It should not be merged with another bug.
You can ignore the prompt thing for now, if you like.  And we can deal later, if
there is interest, with the possibility of adding completion (discussed in bug
#7567).