Subject: bug#1226: Desktop holds second Emacs session hostage; C-x C-c doesn't work properly.

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 21:12:29 -0400

Alan Mackenzie wrote:

> At this point, C-g aborts the "end Emacs" command.  One now has the
> unpleasant choice of killing Emacs2 from the (operating system) console
> or typing in some random directory to dump the empty .emacs.desktop to.

Another choice is of course just to turn off desktop-save-mode, then exit.

> This is a bug.

What should it do instead?

i) Not turn on desktop-save-mode if you answer no to the initial
question:

     "Warning: desktop file appears to be in use by PID 3616.
      Using it may cause conflicts.  Use it anyway? (y or n)"

ii) Or should this question offer a third alternative, eg "(q) -
disable desktop-save-mode for this session"?

iii) Or should the prompt

    Directory for desktop file: ~/"

somehow offer an option to turn off desktop-save-mode?

iv) Something else?

> Even worse, accepting the prompt's default directory, ~/, might
> overwrite the real .emacs.desktop.

If you try it, you will find you get adequate warning about overwriting
the existing desktop.