Subject: bug#12258: closed (Re: bug#12258: 24.2.50; OS X dialog box locks emacs)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 18:57:02 +0000

Your bug report

#12258: 24.2.50; OS X dialog box locks emacs

which was filed against the emacs,ns package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
12258: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12258
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#12258: 24.2.50; OS X dialog box locks emacs
From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
To: Ivan Andrus <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 20:55:13 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello.

23 aug 2012 kl. 23:21 skrev Ivan Andrus <[email-masked]>:

> On Aug 23, 2012, at 6:50 PM, Jan Djärv wrote:
> 
>> Hello.
>> 
>> 22 aug 2012 kl. 15:11 skrev Ivan Andrus:
>> 
>>> Starting from emacs -Q, evaluating the following causes a dialog to
>>> appear.  It is impossible to dismiss the dialog and impossible to
>>> interact with the rest of emacs. 
>>> 
>>> (let ((last-nonmenu-event nil)
>>>    (use-dialog-box t))
>>> (y-or-n-p "Cache preamble? "))
>>> 
>>> It should be noted that I found this when I clicked on the
>>> preview-at-point toolbar button in AUCTeX, so artificially setting
>>> last-nonmenu-event seems justifiable.
>> 
>> I can't reproduce this, either on 10.7 or 10.8.  I tried about 50 times...
>> Does it happen always?
> 
> 
> Yes.  I'm on a fairly modified 10.6, so it may be that I have something strange on my system.
> 

Apparently 10.6 (and earlier?) doesn't handle modal loops the same.  I have checked in a fix that works on 10.6 also.

	Jan D.

Subject: 24.2.50; OS X dialog box locks emacs
From: Ivan Andrus <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2012 15:11:22 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Starting from emacs -Q, evaluating the following causes a dialog to
appear.  It is impossible to dismiss the dialog and impossible to
interact with the rest of emacs. 

(let ((last-nonmenu-event nil)
      (use-dialog-box t))
  (y-or-n-p "Cache preamble? "))

It should be noted that I found this when I clicked on the
preview-at-point toolbar button in AUCTeX, so artificially setting
last-nonmenu-event seems justifiable.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.4 (i386-apple-darwin10.8.0, NS apple-appkit-1038.36)
of 2012-08-22 on oroszlan.local
Bzr revision: 109750 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1038
Configured using:
`configure '--with-ns''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: LaTeX

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o <tab> r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Applying style hooks... done
Loading vc-hg...done
Making completion list...
user-error: Beginning of history; no preceding item
user-error: End of history; no default available
user-error: Beginning of history; no preceding item
ns-copy-including-secondary: The mark is not set now, so there is no region

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode vc-hg preview prv-emacs byte-opt tex-bar
tex-buf toolbar-x noutline outline font-latex warnings bytecomp
byte-compile cconv macroexp latex easy-mmode edmacro kmacro tex-style
tex latexenc ac-slime-autoloads ace-jump-mode-autoloads
ack-and-a-half-autoloads adaptive-wrap-autoloads
applescript-mode-autoloads auctex-autoloads tex-site info easymenu
browse-kill-ring-autoloads buffer-move-autoloads c-eldoc-autoloads
columnify-autoloads command-frequency-autoloads company-autoloads
debbugs-autoloads diff-hl-autoloads drag-stuff-autoloads
durendal-autoloads ein-autoloads emstar-autoloads feature-mode-autoloads
goto-last-change-autoloads graphviz-dot-mode-autoloads
highlight-parentheses-autoloads highlight-symbol-autoloads
hl-sexp-autoloads jump-char-autoloads keyfreq-autoloads
linum-relative-autoloads mark-multiple-autoloads
markdown-mode+-autoloads markdown-mode-autoloads
multiple-cursors-autoloads paredit-autoloads parenface-autoloads
python-mode-autoloads redo+-autoloads rw-hunspell-autoloads
scpaste-autoloads htmlize-autoloads scss-mode-autoloads
slime-clj-autoloads slime-fuzzy-autoloads slime-ritz-autoloads
smarter-compile-autoloads smex-autoloads speck-autoloads
swank-clojure-autoloads advice help-fns advice-preload
clojure-mode-autoloads slime-repl-autoloads slime-autoloads
undo-tree-autoloads vala-mode-autoloads websocket-autoloads
wgrep-autoloads xml-rpc-autoloads package time-date tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)