Subject: bug#12234: closed (Re: bug#12234: 24.1; If set both (scroll-bar-mode -1) and (set-fringe-mode 0), and then try to resize the frame, the frame will gradual getting thin.)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 16:22:02 +0000

Your bug report

#12234: 24.1; If set both (scroll-bar-mode -1) and (set-fringe-mode 0), and then try to resize the frame, the frame will gradual getting thin.

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
12234: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=12234
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#12234: 24.1; If set both (scroll-bar-mode -1) and (set-fringe-mode 0), and then try to resize the frame, the frame will gradual getting thin.
From: Jan Djärv <[email-masked]>
To: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 18:20:00 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hello.

The concept of zero is still to complicated for Gtk+3/Unity.   I have checked in a fix that avoids that dreaded number.

Please try it.

19 aug 2012 kl. 22:03 skrev Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>:

> By the way, with Emacs 24.1, the console shows this:
> 
> (emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): LIBDBUSMENU-GTK-CRITICAL **: watch_submenu: assertion `GTK_IS_MENU_SHELL(menu)' failed
> 

Did you compile this 24.1 yourself?  Emacs has no libdbusmenu implementation so this must come from somewhere else.

> (emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion `extra_space >= 0' failed
> 

This is from Gtk+ when it fights the user and the window manager for who should determine the Emacs frame size.  Everybody looses.

	Jan D.

Subject: 24.1; If set both (scroll-bar-mode -1) and (set-fringe-mode 0), and then try to resize the frame, the frame will gradual getting thin.
From: hbin <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 00:20:56 +0800
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi there,

I'm using Emacs 24.1, if I both set (scroll-bar-mode -1) and
(set-fringe-mode 0), then if I trying to resize the frame, the frame
will gradual getting thin.

See my question on the Stack Overflow please:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11373826/how-to-disable-fringe-in-emacs

So does Emacs 23.3.1 do.

Sincerely yours,
Huang Bin

In GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.4.2)
of 2012-08-13 on think
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
Configured using:
`configure '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3''

Important settings:
value of $LC_ALL: nil
value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
value of $LC_MONETARY: en_US.UTF-8
value of $LC_NUMERIC: en_US.UTF-8
value of $LC_TIME: en_US.UTF-8
value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
value of $XMODIFIERS: @im=fcitx
locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Ruby

Minor modes in effect:
volatile-highlights-mode: t
rinari-minor-mode: t
ruby-tools-mode: t
rainbow-delimiters-mode: t
autopair-mode: t
flymake-mode: t
shell-dirtrack-mode: t
diff-auto-refine-mode: t
desktop-save-mode: t
savehist-mode: t
eproject-mode: t
yas/global-mode: t
yas/minor-mode: t
global-auto-complete-mode: t
auto-complete-mode: t
icomplete-mode: t
show-paren-mode: t
linum-mode: t
delete-selection-mode: t
global-auto-revert-mode: t
mouse-wheel-mode: t
file-name-shadow-mode: t
global-font-lock-mode: t
font-lock-mode: t
auto-composition-mode: t
auto-encryption-mode: t
auto-compression-mode: t
size-indication-mode: t
column-number-mode: t
line-number-mode: t
transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f
C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f C-f
C-f C-f C-f C-p C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p M-h M-h M-w M-[ C-n C-n C-o ( c u s
<tab> C-n C-n C-n C-n <tab> SPC C-y SPC C-a C-f M-h
M-h M-w M-[ M-] M-] C-n C-n C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-a C-a C-p C-p C-a C-p C-p C-p C-p
M-h M-w C-c C-g C-g M-k M-k C-g C-g C-w C-x C-s M-k
M-k M-k C-x C-f r e <tab> <return> M-k C-x C-f C-h
C-h C-h <return> p r <return> s <return> <return> C-c
; f e p r <return> C-s f o r c e <return> C-n C-f C-e
C-c C-c C-x C-s C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n M-k C-x C-b q C-c ; f h u <return>
C-p C-p C-p C-b M-x r e p o r t <return>

Recent messages:
[yas] Loading for `rails-mode', just-in-time: (yas/load-directory-1 
/home/hbin/.emacs.d/snippets/rails-mode (quote rails-mode) (quote 
(text-mode)))!
[yas] Loading compiled snippets from 
/home/hbin/.emacs.d/snippets/rails-mode
Mark saved where search started
Saving file 
/home/hbin/Projects/sample_app/config/environments/production.rb...
Wrote /home/hbin/Projects/sample_app/config/environments/production.rb
byte-code: End of buffer [16 times]
Formats have changed, recompiling...done
Updating buffer list...done
Commands: m, u, t, RET, g, k, S, D, Q; q to quit; h for help
call-interactively: End of buffer

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/vendor/magit/.dir-locals hides 
~/.emacs.d/vendor/full-ack/.dir-locals
~/.emacs.d/vendor/volatile-highlights.el/volatile-highlights hides 
~/.emacs.d/vendor/volatile-highlights
/home/hbin/.emacs.d/vendor/rinari/util/jump/which-func hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.1/lisp/progmodes/which-func
~/.emacs.d/vendor/magit/.dir-locals hides 
/usr/local/share/emacs/24.1/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals

Features:
(shadow sort flyspell ispell mail-extr emacsbug message rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mail-utils
ibuf-ext multi-isearch time-stamp whitespace find-func vc-git unsafep
ffap volatile-highlights hbin-prog prog-markdown prog-clojure
prog-python prog-rails rinari jump inflections findr ruby-compilation
which-func inf-ruby rhtml-mode rhtml-navigation rhtml-sgml-hacks
rhtml-ruby-hook html-mode-expansions sgml-mode rhtml-erb rhtml-fonts
scss-mode coffee-mode yaml-mode slim-mode sass-mode haml-mode js json
imenu newcomment cc-mode cc-fonts cc-guess cc-menus cc-cmds cc-styles
cc-align cc-engine cc-vars cc-defs markdown-mode noutline outline
css-mode-expansions css-mode prog-ruby ruby-tools ruby-mode-expansions
ruby-mode yari rvm prog-lisp prog-web zencoding-mode rainbow-mode
prog-lua prog-js prog-c rainbow-delimiters hbin-misc smex
whole-line-or-region autopair misc-navigation ace-jump-mode full-ack
dirtree dired-x dired windata tree-mode tree-widget wid-edit
misc-flymake flymake-ruby flymake warnings compile flymake-cursor
misc-ibuffer ibuffer misc-ispell misc-eshell tramp tramp-compat
auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv macroexp assoc
gnus-util mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache shell pcomplete comint
ansi-color format-spec tramp-loaddefs regexp-opt misc-magit magit-bisect
magit-key-mode magit server ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help
ediff-util ediff-mult ediff-init ediff iswitchb diff-mode log-edit
pcvs-util add-log misc-mark rename-sgml-tag mark-more-like-this
inline-string-rectangle mark-multiple highlight-symbol hi-lock thingatpt
expand-region expand-region-custom expand-region-core misc-hist desktop
saveplace savehist misc-tags etags-select etags eproject ring esh-var
esh-io esh-cmd esh-ext esh-proc esh-arg eldoc esh-groups eshell
esh-module esh-mode esh-util misc-yas yasnippet dropdown-list derived
help-mode view easymenu misc-ac auto-complete-config auto-complete
easy-mmode popup misc hbin-kbds windmove edmacro kmacro hbin-defuns
hbin-editor uniquify advice help-fns advice-preload icomplete ido avoid
paren linum delsel autorevert hbin-ui solarized-dark-theme
solarized-definitions cl time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian
utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean
japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian
cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev
minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dynamic-setting
system-font-setting font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x
multi-tty emacs)