Subject: Re: bug#12234: 24.1; If set both (scroll-bar-mode -1) and (set-fringe-mode 0), and then try to resize the frame, the frame will gradual getting thin.

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 00:03:26 +0400

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

 >> Date: Mon, 20 Aug 2012 00:20:56 +0800
 >> From: hbin <[email-masked]>
 >>
 >> I'm using Emacs 24.1, if I both set (scroll-bar-mode -1) and
 >> (set-fringe-mode 0), then if I trying to resize the frame, the frame
 >> will gradual getting thin.
 >>
 >> See my question on the Stack Overflow please:
 >> 
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11373826/how-to-disable-fringe-in-emacs
 >>
 >> So does Emacs 23.3.1 do.
 >
 > Thank you, but please show a complete recipe.  The Stack Overflow
 > question indicates that linum-mode is being used, and also it is not
 > clear how do you start Emacs again -- do you have the fringe-mode and
 > scroll-bar-mode set in your .emacs or something?
 >
 > At least I cannot reproduce the problem using just what you wrote.

Like I mentioned there in comments, I could reproduce it from emacs -Q
in Ubuntu.
Just evaluate `(scroll-bar-mode -1)`, then `(set-fringe-mode 0)`, then
grab a frame corner and drag it.

By the way, with Emacs 24.1, the console shows this:

(emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): LIBDBUSMENU-GTK-CRITICAL **: watch_submenu: 
assertion `GTK_IS_MENU_SHELL(menu)' failed

(emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): LIBDBUSMENU-GTK-CRITICAL **: watch_submenu: 
assertion `GTK_IS_MENU_SHELL(menu)' failed

(emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): LIBDBUSMENU-GTK-CRITICAL **: watch_submenu: 
assertion `GTK_IS_MENU_SHELL(menu)' failed

(emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): LIBDBUSMENU-GTK-CRITICAL **: watch_submenu: 
assertion `GTK_IS_MENU_SHELL(menu)' failed

** (emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): CRITICAL **: os_bar_hide: assertion 
`OS_IS_BAR (bar)' failed

(emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_hide: assertion 
`GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

** (emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): CRITICAL **: os_bar_hide: assertion 
`OS_IS_BAR (bar)' failed

(emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_hide: assertion 
`GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

** (emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): CRITICAL **: os_bar_set_parent: assertion 
`OS_IS_BAR (bar)' failed

** (emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): CRITICAL **: os_bar_hide: assertion 
`OS_IS_BAR (bar)' failed

(emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_widget_hide: assertion 
`GTK_IS_WIDGET (widget)' failed

** (emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): CRITICAL **: os_bar_set_parent: assertion 
`OS_IS_BAR (bar)' failed

(emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 
gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion `extra_space >= 0' failed

(emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 
gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion `extra_space >= 0' failed

(emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 
gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion `extra_space >= 0' failed

(emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 
gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion `extra_space >= 0' failed

(emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 
gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion `extra_space >= 0' failed

(emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 
gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion `extra_space >= 0' failed

(emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 
gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion `extra_space >= 0' failed

(emacs-snapshot-gtk:2218): Gtk-CRITICAL **: 
gtk_distribute_natural_allocation: assertion `extra_space >= 0' failed

--Dmitry