Subject: bug#12233: 24.1.50; Please index "sexp" in Elisp manual

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Aug 2012 10:20:48 -0700

1. The concept "sexp" is not indexed as such in the Elisp manual.
Please add an index entry for "sexp", which targets node `Intro Eval'.
 
2. I find it misleading that that node, in introducing the terms
"S-expression" and "sexp", also says: "but we generally do not use this
terminology in this manual."
 
The term "sexp" is used throughout Emacs Lisp, including in the names
and doc strings of multiple functions.
 
If you really choose to de-emphasize its use in explanations in the
manual, fine.  But don't point that out, at least using such language,
because it can easily give the impression that Emacs Lisp does not use
the term "sexp", which is plain wrong.
 
It is also not even true that "we generally do not use this terminology
in this manual."  Just search for "sexp" and you will see.  There are
two occurrences of "sexp" in the main menu alone!  There are 89
occurrences of "sexp" in the manual (as well there should be).

In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-08-13 on MARVIN
Bzr revision: 109584 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --no-opt --enable-checking --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libiconv-1.13.1-1-dev/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libxml2-2.7.8/include/libxml2'