Subject: bug#12218: 24.2.50; vc-ediff: Pressing `n' moves focus away from ediff control panel

From: Juri Linkov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2012 20:40:20 +0300

>> If multiple-frames is problematic (on some machines) shouldn't the
>> default be modified to be just plain.
>
> If more people complained, this would probably happen.  But IIUC ediff
> is not very popular and largely unmaintained.
>
>> But, in that case, people like me, who are used to seeing the control
>> panel float to top-right, will complain that the defaults are changed
>> :-).
>
> Likely.  I've been told on this list that my one-frame setup for ediff
> is non-standard and any problems it causes "won't be a problem for most
> users" ;-)

If you are collecting statistics on ediff usage on a one-frame setup,
here is what I have in ~/.emacs:

(custom-set-variables
 '(ediff-split-window-function (quote split-window-horizontally))
 '(ediff-window-setup-function (quote ediff-setup-windows-plain))

I guess people are not complaining about bad defaults because
they have customized them already.