Subject: Re: bug#12217: [PATCH] Re: 24.2.50; append-to-register: Provide a convenient key binding

From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2012 14:32:21 +0530

Andreas Schwab <[email-masked]> writes:

> Jambunathan K <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> I have introduced an extra indirection via a `separator-register' (which
>> is nil by default) Now what gets used as a separator - a newline, a
>> double newline, a comma or a tab - is under user control.
>
> Why the extra indirection?  Why not just make it a string and use it
> directly?

Why registers when there is a kill ring? A text register is but a kill
ring.

Register is a framework and hence abstract.  

The original authors needed it badly, took trouble to implement it, but
unfortunately failed to document what new workflows they enable.  (I see
some references to number registers being used in conjunction with
macros - just about it.)  Now a user is left to his own device to
contrive how a register should be used.  It is like an incomplete
sentence begging for ....

Btw, no registers were killed in the preparation of the patch.

> Andreas.