Subject: Re: bug#12217: [PATCH] Re: 24.2.50; append-to-register: Provide a convenient key binding

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 08 Sep 2012 16:09:53 -0400

>> Maybe you could prompt for a separator if the user provided a C-u
>> prefix?
> Prefix is used as a `delete-flag' already ...

The way I read the current binding of C-x r + (increment-register), it
only uses the prefix to specify the number to add to the register, which
in the case of string concatenation is of no use.

So we can use the prefix of C-x + either the way you do in your current
patch (i.e. to specify the delete-flag of append-to-register) or we can
use it to specify the separator.

I understand that deleting the text is a common need, but you can do
that with C-x + C-w instead of C-u C-x +, so maybe it's OK to use C-u
for the separator.

> I have introduced an extra indirection via a `separator-register' (which
> is nil by default) Now what gets used as a separator - a newline, a
> double newline, a comma or a tab - is under user control.

I've renamed it to register-separator, because I'd rather that
register.el move (ever so slowly) to obey the "register-" prefix.

        Stefan "Installed, thank you!"