Subject: Re: bug#12217: [PATCH] Re: 24.2.50; append-to-register: Provide a convenient key binding

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2012 13:20:13 -0400

> Once patch goes through, I will submit a second part which updates
> regs.texi.

I think the change is OK.  I would prefer a single `cond' form with the
`error' in the last branch (instead of unless+if) so as to avoid
a redundant `numberp' check (not as a matter of efficiency, of course,
but maintenance).
If you send such an updated patch with the corresponding regs.texi
change, we'll install it.

> I usually to use M-x append-to-register (and with this patch `C-x r +')
> to collect sexps.  I think it will be convenient to have the collected
> snippets separated by a suitable separator. Is it OK if a default "\n"
> be used? WDYT.

I think I'd rather not add any separator by default.  In many cases
adding such a separator would render the command inconvenient, and in
many others the user can easily make sure the text he appends includes
an appropriate separator.

I can see cases where adding a separator could be handy, but I'm not
sure hardcoding "\n" would solve enough of those cases.  Maybe you could
prompt for a separator if the user provided a C-u prefix?

        Stefan