Subject: bug#12196: 24.1.50; setting cache-long-line-scans to non-nil freezes Emacs

From: Christopher Schmidt <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2012 18:17:48 +0100 (BST)

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> I can try to come up with a recipe for a vanilla trunk build and Gnus
>> this weekend.
>
> A recipe without Gnus would be preferred.  If you can post a buffer of
> text which consistently causes the hang, I could use that here.

    emacs -q
    M-: (setq-default cache-long-line-scans t) RET
    M-: (setq gnus-select-method
            '(nntp "news.gmane.org"
                   (nntp-open-connection-function nntp-open-tls-stream)
                   (nntp-port-number "nntps"))) RET
    M-x gnus RET
    ^
    # Move point to "{nntp:news.gmane.org} (opened)"
    RET
    # Move point to "K  XXXXX: gmane.emacs.bugs"
    RET RET

I tried other, non-Gnus stuff, but it seems I can only get Emacs to hang
with Gnus.

In GNU Emacs 24.2.50.1 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.10) of 2012-09-17
Bzr revision: 110075 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11203000
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/usr/local/pkg/emacs-trunk' '--with-jpeg=no''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_GB.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  buffer-read-only: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o r t - e m a c s - b u g <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

        Christopher