Subject: Re: bug#12187: 24.1.50; Regression: `Info-breadcrumbs-depth' should show `File:' without ".info" suffix

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 09:45:45 -0400

>> emacs -Q
>> 
>> Set option `Info-breadcrumbs-depth' to 0.
>> 
>> Visit an Info node.  You will see something like this:
>> 
>> File: elisp.info,  Node: Introduction
>> 
>> We should not be displaying the suffix ".info".  The "file" name here is
>> intended to indicate which manual you are in.

> No, it's a file name.  That's how all Info readers work.
> This is not a bug.

I agree it's not a bug, and not a regression in the Info reader either,
but IIUC having just "elisp" in there would work as well (because when
searching for "elisp" the Info reader also tries to look for
"elisp.info"), so I think it's a reasonable request to elide the
".info".
But I'm not sure if eliding should be the job of makeinfo or of the
Info renderer.

        Stefan