Subject: Subject: 24.1; highlight-regexp not working in v24

From: Justin Heyes-Jones <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 15:43:41 -0700

Hi

I noticed that I get different behavior with highlight-regexp in emacs
24.1.1 than in 23. Loading the file below, the text that is in the file
when it loads will be highlighted in the correct color, but typing new
text will not highlight. In the previous version the highlighting would
update dynamically as you type.

This is the windows version running under exactly the same
environment. If I switch back to 23 it's fine.

FILE START

A test of colour syntax highlighting

When I type yellow it should go yellow, and green goes green

// This enables custom syntax highlighting
// Local Variables:
// eval: (progn (highlight-regexp "yellow" 'hi-yellow) (highlight-regexp
"red" 'hi-red-b) (highlight-regexp "green" 'hi-green) (highlight-regexp
"blue" 'hi-blue-b))
// end:

FILE END

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
c:/emacs-24.1/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601)
 of 2012-06-10 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENC
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Text

Minor modes in effect:
  hi-lock-mode: t
  yas/global-mode: t
  yas/minor-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: 1
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x C-f D r o p b <tab> e s t <backspace> <backspace>
<backspace> t e s t / t <backspace> <backspace> . .
t x <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> t x t <return>
y <down> <down> <down> <down> y e l l o w SPC g r e
e n SPC C-a <up> <up> <up> <up> <up> C-SPC <down> <down>
<down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down> <down>
M-w <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-x r e p o r t - e m
<tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading
c:/justinhj/Dropbox/localemacs/color-theme-6.6.0/themes/color-theme-library.el
(source)...done
Loading c:/justinhj/Dropbox/localemacs/.emacs...done
[yas] Loading for `emacs-lisp-mode', just-in-time: (yas/load-directory-1
c:/justinhj/Dropbox/localemacs/yasnippet/snippets/emacs-lisp-mode (quote
emacs-lisp-mode) (quote (text-mode)))!
[yas] Loading compiled snippets from
c:/justinhj/Dropbox/localemacs/yasnippet/snippets/emacs-lisp-mode
[yas] Loading for `text-mode', just-in-time: (yas/load-directory-1
c:/justinhj/Dropbox/localemacs/yasnippet/snippets/text-mode (quote
text-mode) (quote nil))!
[yas] Loading compiled snippets from
c:/justinhj/Dropbox/localemacs/yasnippet/snippets/text-mode
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Please type y, n, or !: y
byte-code: Beginning of buffer
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader hi-lock clojure-mode-autoloads eredis-autoloads
htmlize-autoloads slime-repl-autoloads slime-autoloads server webjump
browse-url justins-utils date-util timezone windmove
color-theme-solarized lively yasnippet dropdown-list derived advice
advice-preload easy-mmode help-mode view ace-jump-mode help-fns package
tabulated-list color-theme edmacro kmacro wid-edit cl sendmail
regexp-opt rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils
reporter easymenu time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel dos-w32 disp-table ls-lisp w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset
image fringe lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)