Subject: segmentation fault during run-lisp in emacs-24.1

From: Daniel Eliason <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2012 13:02:23 -0700

From: "U-HLS\\eliason" <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 24.1; segmentation fault during run-lisp
--text follows this line--
This bug report will be sent to the Bug-GNU-Emacs mailing list
and the GNU bug tracker at debbugs.gnu.org.  Please check that
the From: line contains a valid email address.  After a delay of up
to one day, you should receive an acknowledgement at that address.

Please write in English if possible, as the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators for other languages.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug, and
the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give a recipe
starting from `emacs -Q':

Segmentation Fault after I use help in *inferior-lisp* buffer.
The sequence here will cause the crash from an 'emacs -Q' startup
at the Cygwin command prompt:
(setq inferior-lisp-program "clisp")^J
M-x run-lisp
^H^G
(exit)

The segmentation violation happens while typing '(exit)'. It happens
at a keystroke, before completing the command and typing return.

I downloaded the Emacs sources directly from:
http://gnu.mirrors.pair.com/gnu/emacs/

I compiled the faulty emacs-24.1 under Cygwin like this:
./configure --without-x
make

The Gygwin environment was fully updated on 9-August-2012.

I then downloaded and compiled emacs-23.2b, compiled using exactly the
same commands, and the problem does *not* occur.  I have currently installed
emacs-23.2b for that reason.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/home/eliason/emacs-24.1/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (i686-pc-cygwin)
 of 2012-08-09 on NY-9KQn6G1
Configured using:
 `configure '--without-x''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
ESC [ > 4 1 ; 2 8 1 ; 0 c ESC x r e p o r t - e m a
c s - b u f C-h g RET C-x o C-x o C-x o C-x k C-x o
ESC x ESC O A r e p o r t - b C-h e m a C-h C-h C-g
C-g C-x 0 C-x o C-h C-g C-g C-b ESC x r e o r t C-b
C-b C-b p C-e - e m a c s - b u g RET

Recent messages:
("emacs")
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
View mode: type C-h for help, h for commands, q to quit.
completing-read-default: Command attempted to use minibuffer while in minibuffer
goto-history-element: Beginning of history; no preceding item
maQuit
Quit

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu goto-addr thingatpt image view
tool-bar dired regexp-opt time-date ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process multi-tty emacs)