Subject: Re: bug#12159: 24.1.50; vc-dir: Need a way to hide unregistered files

From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 01:10:56 +0530

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Jambunathan K <[email-masked]>
>> Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 00:41:00 +0530
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> 
>> I wish reviewers provide feedback which is comprehensive right from the
>> word go.  Let me explain ...
>> 
>> When I submitted my patch it was complete i.e., I did not present it
>> hunk-by-hunk.  I re-worked the patch based on feedback and I have
>> demonstrated some seriousness in making the patch acceptable.
>> 
>> Unfortunately, the review process here seems to have gone by "hunk by
>> hunk" mode.  A small note here, a small note there.  For something as
>> simple as this patch, why should we have 100 exchanges?
>> 
>> I can't care less if you call my patch a crap or hold an opinion that I
>> should never enter a programmer's territory.  It is not what I am
>> talking about.
>> 
>> Reviewers have infinite time to review the patch.  Let them collect
>> their notes and give a comprehensive list of what they think is
>> acceptable to them.
>> 
>> I hope I am not placing an un-reasonable demand.  
>> 
>> We are talking of an implicit social contract that reviewers and patch
>> submitters should adhere to.  Unfortunately, it is only the patch
>> submitters end of the contract that gets much emphasis.
>
> I'm sorry you feel this way.  However, after reading the entire
> discussion, I see nothing but a reasonable process.  Let me explain.

I really feel frustrated.  

More efforts have gone in the patch than what the patch actually shows.

I switched from Windows XP to Debian.  I have downloaded 3 ISOs.  I had
to get my 3G-Modem working.  I have to learn Bazaar and put up with the
"stream of consciousness" style that the two articles in Emacswiki
adopts.  (I remember my troubles making even limited progress with
Ulysess, Portrait of artist as an young man or the Sound and Fury.)

,----
|    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsDevs
|    http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/BzrForEmacsCasualDevs
`----

More importantly, the persistent merge conflicts with the Changelog that
I created.  (I have grown wiser now.)

> Your original submission first got a general comment from Stefan
> suggesting a different approach.  

Considering that I have submitted a patch, "general comment" could have
been avoided in first place.

> When you reworked the patch according to Stefan's suggestions, you got
> one comment from Andreas (with whom you exchanged a couple of messages
> regarding his comment), and several specific comments from Stefan.  It
> is entirely reasonable that two different people comment on different
> portions of the patch.

> Sorry, but I see no "hunk by hunk" here.

Ah! programmers.  I am trying to communicate how I feel.  Don't apply
logic in human affairs.

Let me offer a branch of olive: 

Have I heard what all I have to hear on this patch.  If yes, I will make
one more attempt at re-submitting it.