Subject: bug#12153: 24.1.50; vc-checkin fails when buffers of files doesn't exist.

From: Thierry Volpiatto <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 11:30:01 +0200

Hi,
trying to use `vc-checkin' from lisp, I found that it is not usable when
the buffers of the files I want to commit are not present.
This is due I think to the concept of `with-vc-properties' that need
some buffer properties to get info on files (there is a note about this in
the definition of `vc-checkin').
I understand that when commiting changes vc can expect the buffer of the
modified file is present, but when adding new files, this may not be
true.

Also when an eshell buffer is present, vc ask about this buffer, which
is wrong (but that's maybe another bug).

In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, X toolkit, Xaw3d scroll bars)
 of 2012-08-03 on thierry-MM061
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11103000
Configured using:
 `configure '--with-x-toolkit=lucid' '--with-wide-int' '--without-gconf'
 '--without-gsettings''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_MONETARY: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LC_TIME: fr_FR.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: fr_FR.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Emacs-Lisp

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  auto-image-file-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  savehist-mode: t
  minibuffer-depth-indicate-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  helm-mode: t
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  helm-match-plugin-mode: t
  diff-auto-refine-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> C-x C-b <down> <down> <down> <return> <down> 
C-M-SPC M-w M-x r e p o r t <return>

Recent messages:
Restoring buffers...93%
OVERVIEW
Restoring buffers...94%
OVERVIEW
Restoring buffers...done

Loading /home/thierry/.emacs.d/recentf...done
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
Mark set

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/emacs-config-laptop/.gnus hides ~/.emacs.d/.gnus
~/elisp/emacs-wget/lpath hides ~/elisp/auctex/lpath
~/elisp/magit/.dir-locals hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/gnus/.dir-locals
~/elisp/emms/lisp/tq hides /usr/local/share/emacs/24.1.50/lisp/emacs-lisp/tq

Features:
(shadow gnus-dired nnir mail-extr gnus-msg emacsbug helm-command recentf
helm-misc ido tabify org-table conf-mode vc-rcs sh-script smie
executable xhg-dvc jka-compr vc-git xgit-dvc xgit xgit-annotate
dvc-annotate xgit-log dvc-revlist bzr-core xdarcs-core xgit-core
xmtn-minimal naquadah-theme em-unix em-script em-prompt em-ls em-hist
em-pred em-glob em-dirs em-cmpl em-basic em-banner em-alias esh-var
esh-io esh-cmd esh-opt esh-ext esh-proc esh-groups eshell esh-module
esh-mode align-let server winner undo-tree diff slime-xref-browser
slime-banner slime-tramp slime-asdf slime-fancy slime-fontifying-fu
slime-package-fu slime-references slime-scratch slime-presentations
slime-fuzzy slime-fancy-inspector slime-c-p-c slime-editing-commands
slime-autodoc slime-parse slime-repl image-file newsticker
newst-treeview tree-widget newst-plainview newst-reader newst-ticker
newst-backend xdvi-search preview-latex pcomplete-extension em-term term
disp-table ehelp electric helm-ipython helm-elisp helm-eval python rx
whitespace paren time avoid savehist smtpmail-async smtpmail sendmail
helm-async markdown-mode org-google-weather google-weather url-cache
iterator googlecl google-maps google-maps-static google-maps-geocode
google-maps-base json simple-call-tree el-expectations el-mock csv2org
iedit rect zop-to-char smallurl mm-url rectangle-utils tv-utils async
pcvs pcvs-parse pcvs-info pcvs-defs mb-depth ioccur cl-info slime
hyperspec slime-autoloads ledger-config ledger esh-arg esh-util tex-site
auto-loads esh-toggle flymake eldoc-eval eldoc no-word regex-tool
dired-extension emms-mpd-config emms-playlist-limit emms-volume
emms-volume-amixer emms-i18n emms-history emms-score emms-stream-info
emms-metaplaylist-mode emms-bookmarks emms-cue emms-mode-line-icon
emms-browser sort emms-playlist-sort emms-last-played emms-player-xine
emms-player-mpd tq emms-playing-time emms-lyrics emms-url hl-line
emms-tag-editor emms-mark emms-mode-line emms-cache emms-info-ogginfo
emms-info-mp3info emms-playlist-mode emms-player-vlc emms-player-mplayer
emms-info emms-streams later-do emms-source-playlist emms-source-file
emms-player-simple emms-setup emms emms-compat dvc-init bzr-gnus
tla-gnus xgit-gnus xhg-gnus gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 mm-view mml-smime
smime dig gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range gnus-win gnus gnus-ems nnheader
dvc-gnus tla-core tla-autoconf tla-defs dvc-log vc vc-dispatcher
ediff-merg ediff-diff ediff-wind ediff-help ediff-util ediff-mult
ediff-init ediff dvc-autoloads magit-stgit magit-bisect magit-key-mode
magit log-edit pcvs-util add-log htmlize-hack htmlize muse-colors
muse-docbook muse-texinfo texnfo-upd texinfo muse-latex muse-html
muse-xml-common muse-wiki cus-edit cus-start cus-load muse-publish
muse-project muse-protocols muse-regexps wid-edit muse muse-nested-tags
muse-mode muse-autoloads org-config-thierry ob-sh org-crypt cal-china
lunar solar cal-dst cal-bahai cal-islam cal-hebrew holidays hol-loaddefs
vc-hg org-wl org-w3m org-vm org-rmail org-mhe org-mew org-irc org-jsinfo
org-infojs org-html org-exp ob-exp org-exp-blocks find-func org-info
org-gnus org-docview org-bibtex bibtex org-bbdb org-agenda appt
diary-lib diary-loaddefs org-annotation-helper org-capture org-mks
remember org-remember org-datetree addressbook-bookmark message rfc822
mml mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 rfc2047
rfc2045 ietf-drums mailabbrev mail-utils gmm-utils mailheader
firefox-protocol bookmark-firefox-handler bookmark-extensions org
ob-emacs-lisp ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table org-footnote org-src
ob-comint ob-keys ob ob-eval org-pcomplete org-list org-faces org-compat
org-entities org-macs noutline outline cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs
bookmark pp init-helm-thierry helm-mode helm-ls-git helm-files
image-dired tramp tramp-compat tramp-loaddefs shell pcomplete
format-spec dired-aux ffap thingatpt helm-buffers helm-elscreen
helm-tags helm-bookmark helm-adaptative helm-info helm-net browse-url
url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand url-methods url-history url-cookie
url-domsuf url-util url-parse url-vars mailcap helm-plugin helm-help
helm-match-plugin helm-grep helm-regexp grep helm-external helm-utils
compile comint ansi-color ring helm-descbinds helm-delicious xml
helm-mercurial xhg xhg-annotate xhg-mq xhg-log xhg-core dvc-diff
uniquify dvc-fileinfo dvc-unified dvc-tips diff-mode easy-mmode dvc-core
dvc-lisp dvc-buffers dvc-ui dvc-register dvc-utils dvc-emacs ewoc
dvc-defs dvc-site dired-x cl-macs gv dired helm-locate helm warnings
advice help-fns advice-preload helm-config edmacro kmacro epa-file epa
derived epg epg-config auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile
cconv gnus-util time-date mm-util mail-prsvr password-cache usage-memo
cl cl-lib macroexp info easymenu tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env
code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting font-render-setting
x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
  Thierry
Get my Gnupg key:
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys 59F29997