Subject: Re: bug#1215: 23.0.60; unibyte->multibyte conversion problem (in

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 12:08:58 +0100

On Fri, Jan 16, 2009 at 04:37, Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> wrote:

> You're cheating: remove the (set-buffer-multibyte nil).
> Otherwise you're not actually inserting the ?« char but the #xAB
> byte instead.

OK, I see.

You said:

"There's a bug here, indeed: Emacs should refuse to save such a file,
because raw-text-unix (to which I prefer to refer as `binary') cannot
encode « and »."

but according to raw-text-unix's description:

  t -- raw-text-unix

  Raw text, which means text contains random 8-bit codes.
  Encoding text with this coding system produces the actual byte
  sequence of the text in buffers and strings.  An exception is made for
  eight-bit-control characters.  Each of them is encoded into a single
  byte.

you can save (almost) anything with it. What is the bug?

    Juanma