Subject: bug#1215: 23.0.60; unibyte->multibyte conversion problem (in

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 03:59:07 +0100

> If you save that file and read it back in, you'll see that its content
> has changed.

Sorry, but I don't see that.

  emacs -Q

then I evaluate this:

  (with-temp-file "/temp/guillemets.txt"
    (set-buffer-multibyte nil)
    (setq buffer-file-coding-system 'raw-text-unix)
    (insert ?« "Test" ?» ?\n))

then

  C-x C-f /temp/guillemets.txt

I get a buffer guillemets.txt with

  «Test»

as a multibyte file in iso-latin-1-unix. I can modify it and save it,
and still the guillemets are bytes 0xab and 0xbb in the resulting
file.

    Juanma