Subject: Re: bug#12149: 24.1; `C-h f' is worse and worse at telling where a function was defined

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2016 18:20:14 +0200

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> In Emacs prior to Emacs 23, `C-h f' did not point to the wrong files
> as having defined these function.  At least it did not lie and steer
> you wrong.
>
> Emacs 23.4 did not point to the wrong file for `y-or-n-p', but it did
> point to the wrong file for `top-level'.
>
> Emacs 24.1 gets them both wrong.  It simply gives the original location
> (from emacs -Q) for each of them: `C source code' for `top-level' and
> `subr.el' for `y-or-n-p'.  This is not good.  Better to say "no idea"
> than to mislead the user this way.

(progn
  (defun yes-or-no-p (prompt) (y-or-n-p prompt))
  (describe-function  'yes-or-no-p))

=>

yes-or-no-p is a Lisp function.

(yes-or-no-p PROMPT)

Not documented.

So I seem to be unable to reproduce this bug.  Are you still seeing it?

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no