Subject: Re: bug#12148: 24.1.50; Tramp has problems with Solaris server (test -e)

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2012 10:51:20 +0200

Carsten Bormann <[email-masked]> writes:

> This appears to get circumvented correctly once, but the .emacs.d/tramp
> written out from the first emacs says:
>
>   ("file-exists" "test -e")
>
> which is clearly wrong.
> So the next incarnation of emacs will no longer work correcly with that
> Solaris server.

Hmm. In `tramp-find-file-exists-command', it is correctly tested for
"test -e", "/bin/test -e" aso. But the cache seems to get the wrong value.

I would need to analyze the cache operations. Would you, please, apply
"M-x tramp-cleanup-all-connections" (this also removes cache settings),
set `tramp-verbose' to 9, and rerun the test? The resulting debug buffer
shall tell us more.

> (Because of the caching in .emacs.d/tramp and the behavior of writing out the tramp file during kill-emacs, this can be very confusing to debug.  It took me a while to understand that the "works/doesn't work/works/doesn't work" behavior can only be explained by to the tramp file written out with bad information.)

Maybe the Tramp info file shall be improved for recipes how to disable
the cache for debugging.

Best regards, Michael.