Subject: Re: bug#12139: 24.1; `occur-edit-mode' is completely broken if `pop-up-frames'=t

From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 12:18:37 +0800

"Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:

> emacs -Q
> (setq pop-up-frames t)
> In some buffer, M-x occur, then `e' to enter `occur-edit-mode'.
>  
> Type a character on the occur buffer.  The frame of the buffer that was
> searched is brought to the foreground, obscuring the occur buffer.
> What's more, the searched buffer's frame receives the input focus.

It's a long-standing issue with display-buffer.  The docstring of
display-buffer says

   Display BUFFER-OR-NAME in some window, without selecting it.

But when pop-up-frames is non-nil, display-buffer does explicitly select
the window, via raising its frame.  One could argue that this is
desirable because the frame that is being re-used might be obscured or
out of sight, but it interferes with Lisp callers which want to display
stuff in another window without losing focus from the current one (which
is the main role of display-buffer).