Subject: 24.1.50; ispell slow under Emacs.app

From: Pat Rondon <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 16:18:25 -0700

Run "open Emacs.app --args -Q"
Open a large file
M-x ispell-buffer
The spell checking process will take a very long time.

This problem seems to have to do with the long polling interval (.1
second) used in ns_select in src/nsterm.m. Setting the polling interval
to a shorter period helps a lot:

*** old.nsterm.m	2012-08-02 16:04:22.000000000 -0700
--- nsterm.m	2012-08-02 16:01:52.000000000 -0700
*************** ns_select (int nfds, fd_set *readfds, fd
*** 3545,3551 ****
                                                           retain];
  
    /* set a periodic task to try the pselect () again */
!   fd_entry = [[NSTimer scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval: 0.1
                                                 target: NSApp
                                               selector: @selector (fd_handler:)
                                               userInfo: 0
--- 3545,3551 ----
                                                           retain];
  
    /* set a periodic task to try the pselect () again */
!   fd_entry = [[NSTimer scheduledTimerWithTimeInterval: 0.001
                                                 target: NSApp
                                               selector: @selector (fd_handler:)
                                               userInfo: 0

Corresponding ChangeLog entry:

2012-08-02  Pat Rondon  <[email-masked]>

        * nsterm.m (ns_select): Shorten ns_select polling interval.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.50.2 (x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1138.47)
 of 2012-08-02 on manzanita
Bzr revision: 109405 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1138
Configured using:
 `configure '--prefix=/Users/pmr/' '--with-ns''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
M-x r e p o <tab> r t - e m <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list...

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu time-date tooltip ediff-hook
vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page
menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock
syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang
vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek
romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs
button faces cus-face files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process ns multi-tty emacs)