Subject: bug#12126: 24.1.50; compilation --with-wide-int on PowerPC 32-bit leads to: Maximum buffer size exceeded

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2012 23:41:31 +0200

Hello!

On Mac OS X 10.5.8, Snow Leopard, with PowerPC 7447A configuration for  
X11 or the NS variant à la

	time nice +17 env LANG=C PATH=/sw/bin:$PATH ./configure --with-<NS or  
x-toolkit=athena or x-toolkit=gtk> --with-wide-int --without-sound -- 
without-dbus --without-pop --without-gconf --without-gpm --without- 
gsettings --without-selinux --without-gif --without-jpeg --without-png  
--without-rsvg --without-tiff --without-xpm --disable-ns-self- 
contained --x-libraries=/usr/X11/lib --x-includes=/usr/X11/include -- 
enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application\ Support/Emacs/calendar24:/ 
Library/Application\ Support/Emacs CFLAGS="-g -ggdb3 -H -pipe -fPIC - 
fno-common -fast -mcpu=7450 -mtune=G4 -malign-natural" LDFLAGS="-Wl,- 
dead_strip_dylibs -Wl,-bind_at_load -Wl,-t" PKG_CONFIG_PATH=/sw/lib/ 
xft2/lib/pkgconfig:/sw/share/pkgconfig:/sw/lib/pkgconfig:/usr/X11/lib/ 
pkgconfig:/usr/X11/share/pkgconfig:/usr/lib/pkgconfig

the 'make bootstrap' step ends here:

	Loading window (source)...
	Loading .../emacs-24.1.50/lisp/files.el (source)...
	Maximum buffer size exceeded
	make[2]: *** [bootstrap-emacs] Error 1

The compiler used is

	powerpc-apple-darwin9-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple Inc.  
build 5555) (LLVM build 2064.3)

src/s/darwin.h once contained:

	#ifdef HAVE_NS
	#define SYSTEM_PURESIZE_EXTRA 200000
	#endif

--
Greetings

   Pete

Isn't vi that text editor with two modes... one that beeps and one  
that corrupts your file?
				– Dan Jacobson, on comp.os.linux.advocacy