Subject: Re: bug#12126: 24.1.50; compilation --with-wide-int on PowerPC 32-bit leads to: Maximum buffer size exceeded

From: Peter Dyballa <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 4 Aug 2012 18:10:38 +0200

Am 03.08.2012 um 18:31 schrieb Jan Djärv:

> Does it work if you just
> % configure --with-ns

Yes, compilation finishes then. It makes no difference whether I use  
MacPorts or Fink and whether the compiler is

  • powerpc-apple-darwin9-llvm-gcc-4.2 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Based on Apple  
Inc. build 5555) (LLVM build 2064.3)
  • powerpc-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.2.1 (GCC) 4.2.1 (Apple Inc. build 5577)
  • powerpc-apple-darwin9-gcc-4.0.1 (GCC) 4.0.1 (Apple Inc. build 5493)

My test started with that simple configure line and MacPorts and then  
a 'make bootstrap'. This took hours, followed by 'make install'. The  
next step was a new configuration followed by make and 'make install',  
taking approximately 20-25 min. So I produced six versions of  
Emacs.app. None really worked. When I launched them with open they  
crashed at some time when initialising/executing my init file and re- 
establishing previous session and desktop. When I invoked the Emacs  
binary inside the application bundle with '--debug-init -Q' and I  
invoked dired with C-x d and accepted the root of the GNU Emacs'  
sources as directory with RET the NS variant instantly crashed.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Encryption, n.:
	A powerful algorithmic encoding technique employed in the creation of  
computer manuals.