Subject: relocatable installation

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Aug 2012 12:58:24 -0400

Package: emacs
Severity: wishlist
Version: 24.1

A --with-ns build can be built as a "relocatable app bundle".
(In fact it defaults to this, unless you configure with
--disable-ns-self-contained.)

In this mode, the --prefix option to configure is ignored.
`make install' constructs a directory nextstep/Emacs.app with contents
like this:

Emacs   # the executable
bin     # directory with user executables
etc
info
leim
libexec # directory with internal executables
lisp
man

A non-ns build could have the same feature (except the "Emacs" should go
in the bin/ directory and have a standard name).

It needs a few changes to various Makefile.ins (see the ns_appbindir etc
portions), as well as functions analogous to ns_load_path,
ns_etc_directory, and ns_exec_path.  For simplicity/consistency, these
should be renamed to eg reloc_load_path, etc. Then init_lread,
init_callproc_1, init_callproc should be changed accordingly.