Subject: Re: bug#12113: 24.0.96; Incorrect echoing of gdb output

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2012 19:46:25 +0300

> Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 07:38:20 -0400
> From: "William M. (Mike) Miller" <[email-masked]>
> 
> In particular, if I type "next" in the gud interaction buffer, the
> source line of the execution point is echoed in the buffer, just as it
> would be if I were using gdb in an xterm outside of emacs.  It is
> correctly suppressed if I use the graphical "next" button at the top of
> the window.
> 
> Conversely, if I use the graphical buttons for "run", "continue", or
> "step", the gdb output showing the function name and parameter values is
> not echoed in the gud interaction buffer; it does appear if I type those
> commands instead of using the graphical buttons.

I think this is expected: the MI interpreter used by Emacs causes
different outputs to be emitted by GDB than when you use the
equivalent CLI interpreter commands.

The information you see when you type GDB CLI commands into the gud
buffer is shown in the "many windows" when you use the GUI controls.
So no information is lost.

Can you tell why the current behavior is a problem?