Subject: Re: bug#12113: 24.0.96; Incorrect echoing of gdb output

From: "William M. (Mike) Miller" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 13:30:26 -0400

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 12:46 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 07:38:20 -0400
>> From: "William M. (Mike) Miller" <[email-masked]>
>>
>> In particular, if I type "next" in the gud interaction buffer, the
>> source line of the execution point is echoed in the buffer, just as it
>> would be if I were using gdb in an xterm outside of emacs.  It is
>> correctly suppressed if I use the graphical "next" button at the top of
>> the window.
>>
>> Conversely, if I use the graphical buttons for "run", "continue", or
>> "step", the gdb output showing the function name and parameter values is
>> not echoed in the gud interaction buffer; it does appear if I type those
>> commands instead of using the graphical buttons.
>
> I think this is expected: the MI interpreter used by Emacs causes
> different outputs to be emitted by GDB than when you use the
> equivalent CLI interpreter commands.
>
> The information you see when you type GDB CLI commands into the gud
> buffer is shown in the "many windows" when you use the GUI controls.
> So no information is lost.
>
> Can you tell why the current behavior is a problem?

Echoing the source line when I type "next" in the gud interaction
buffer is more of an annoyance than a "problem" -- it fills up the
buffer with unnecessary text, and if I've printed the value of some
expressions, it causes them to scroll offscreen more rapidly than
they otherwise would.  However, I'm content with just always
using the graphical button for "next" instead of typing it once and
using Enter repeatedly to step through the code, as I had been
doing in previous versions (with --annotate).

The real problem is suppressing the output of the parameter
values when hitting a breakpoint after running or continuing via
a graphical button, or when stepping into a function.  Those values
do not appear in the "locals" buffer, so to see them I either have
to print them manually or, if it's a breakpoint, I have to set an
action list to display them.  (Actually, that's not quite true; I note,
interestingly enough, that the "up" and "down" stack navigation
buttons _do_ display the summary line with the parameter values,
so I could just do an "up" then "down" to see the values of the
parameters in the current function -- but that displays the values
for frame 1 as well as frame 0, so it's less than ideal, but at least
it's shorter than typing the requisite "print" commands.)

-- 
William M. (Mike) Miller | Edison Design Group
[email-masked]