Subject: bug#12107: 24.1.50; In Info mode, add the name of the manual as completion candidate for "bookmark-set"

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 03:09:24 +0200

>> Therefore, I request that the name of the info manual be included in
>> the list of candidates used by M-n, in addition to the name of the
>> node.
>
> Completely agree with you.  The standard Info node name is what you see
> in the modeline and also by typing `w' (`Info-copy-current-node-name').
> So it should be used in bookmarks as well:

Thank you.  Of course I support the change you've posted.  But my
problem was another (probably I didn't explained it well enough).

I'll give an example: If I am in info node "(emacs) Mark" and type
"C-x r m M-n", I'd like to see "emacs" (i.e. the name of the info
_manual_ alone) in the minibuffer.

This completion candidate is useful in situations where an user is
reading a manual from the beginning, and wants to keep a bookmark of
the last position read.  In this case, the user wants to name the
bookmark after the manual, not after any of its nodes.

Thus, summing up:

1. Currently there is only one completion candidate: the name of the
node.  As you've pointed out, it would be better to use the complete
node name instead, which includes the name of the manual (e.g.
"(emacs) Mark").

2. Additionally, I'd like to have another (different) completion
candidate, consisting of the name of the manual alone (e.g. "emacs"),
for the reason explained above.

-- 
Dani Moncayo