Subject: bug#12098: How to trap errors in man?

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 15:21:36 +0100

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 at 15:12, Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> >> What if you are running this remotely using TRAMP?  What if you're on a
> >> laggy network with an NFS mounted filesystem?  What if your disk is
> >> failing and this command takes several seconds to complete?  etc.
> >
> > No different from any other command that interacts with the disc and is
> > normally run synchronously.
>
> Yes, so your entire Emacs session will block.  In other words, less than
> satisfactory.
>

Many commands do this; I don't think there's a reason to treat man
specially in this regard and complicate it.

man was not written to be asynchronous because of the things you mention,
but because it could take some time to format the man page. This is no
longer the case.

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org