Subject: Re: bug#12098: How to trap errors in man?

From: Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 2020 14:51:46 +0100

On Wed, 19 Aug 2020 at 14:51, Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]> writes:
>
> > As I said earlier in the thread, this seems only to add complexity (for
> > example making it hard to reuse `man` for other things, the reason I
> filed
> > this issue originally) for no useful gain on modern machines (the delay
> > when formatting even the longest man page is short).
>
> What if you are running this remotely using TRAMP?  What if you're on a
> laggy network with an NFS mounted filesystem?  What if your disk is
> failing and this command takes several seconds to complete?  etc.
>

No different from any other command that interacts with the disc and is
normally run synchronously.

-- 
https://rrt.sc3d.org