Subject: bug#12098: How to trap errors in man?

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 10:41:50 +0300

> From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
> Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 00:25:45 -0700
> Cc: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>, Reuben Thomas <[email-masked]>,
>  [email-masked]
> 
> > I think adding an option to run man synchronously will address such wishes as
> > https://debbugs.gnu.org/40888
> 
> Unfortunately the patch here no longer applies but from taking a quick
> look it shouldn't be too hard to rewrite for anyone so inclined.

Btw, while assessing the speed of running a 'man' command
synchronously, please be sure to do that with a man page that doesn't
have its formatted counterpart stored in man/catN.  Most
implementations of 'man' will store the formatted pages there, and use
them afterwards, thus avoiding the more expensive formatting command.
Displaying a pre-formatted man page is almost instantaneous, but
formatting a large and non-trivial page might be slower.

(The above doesn't mean to imply I object to the proposed change.)