Subject: Re: bug#12082: 24.1.50; Wrong character showed by "C-h c"

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 11:17:06 +0200

> Interesting.  How did you two type M-ç?

In the spanish keyboard (the one I have) there is a key for each of
those two characters ("M" and "ç"), so M-ç is simply hold down the "M"
(alt) key and then press the "ç" key.

>  And what are your values of
> keyboard and terminal coding-systems, and also what does
> w32-get-console-codepage return?

In a GUI session of my trunk build (started with -Q):

  (keyboard-coding-system) => iso-latin-1-unix
  (terminal-coding-system) => cp1252
  (w32-get-console-codepage) => 850

> And Dani, if you go to the *Messages* buffer and type "C-u C-x =" with
> the cursor on the ‡ character, what does Emacs say?

It says this:

             position: 78 of 91 (85%), column: 2
            character: ‡ (displayed as ‡) (codepoint 8225, #o20041, #x2021)
    preferred charset: unicode (Unicode (ISO10646))
code point in charset: 0x2021
               syntax: _ 	which means: symbol
             category: .:Base, h:Korean, j:Japanese
             to input: type "C-x 8 RET HEX-CODEPOINT" or "C-x 8 RET NAME"
          buffer code: #xE2 #x80 #xA1
            file code: not encodable by coding system iso-latin-1-dos
              display: by this font (glyph code)
    uniscribe:-outline-Courier
New-normal-normal-normal-mono-13-*-*-*-c-*-iso10646-1 (#xC1)

Character code properties: customize what to show
  name: DOUBLE DAGGER
  general-category: Po (Punctuation, Other)
  decomposition: (8225) ('‡')

-- 
Dani Moncayo