Subject: bug#1208: overlay after-string and adjacent overlays with same string

From: Glenn Morris <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 17:30:00 -0400

tags 1208 wontfix
stop

> BUG #2:  An overlay's display property and after-string property are
> not displayed if an immediately following overlay shares the same Lisp
> string as its display property.  (Using two distinct display strings
> with identical contents works around the bug.)

Tagging as wontfix based on the previous discussion:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnu-emacs/2008-02/msg00179.html

    This occurs because, as stated in the Emacs Lisp manual, all
    consecutive characters that have the same Lisp object as their
    `display' property are replaced as a single unit.  In this case, it's
    somewhat ambiguous what the behavior should be, but after looking at
    the code I think the behavior you suggest would be much more difficult
    to implement (and slower) than the current behavior.

    Furthermore, you can trivially obtain the behavior you want by making
    a copy of the string using copy-sequence, so that the two display
    strings are different Lisp objects.

    Therefore, let's leave this alone.