Subject: 24.1; Improve the I-search prompt

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 19:56:48 +0200

Severity: wishlist

Hello,

As discussed in bug #9918
(http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=9918#50), I propose to
change the format of the I-search prompt, so that instead of (e.g.):

  Failing I-search: foobar
  Overwrapped I-search: foobar
  Failing overwrapped I-search: foobar
  Failing I-search: foobar [initial node]

would be

  I-search: foobar  [failing]
  I-search: foobar  [overwrapped]
  I-search: foobar  [failing, overwrapped]
  I-search: foobar  [failing, initial node]

That is: present all the I-search "flags" at the right side of the
search string, using that common pattern.

Advantages:
* This would add consistency to the Isearch visual feedback.
* The search string would be shown in a fixed position in the message
(now the search string jumps right and left when the I-search flags
are added/removed in the prompt text.  This makes difficult to
concentrate on the search string).

TIA.

-- 
Dani Moncayo