Subject: bug#12078: 24.1; Improve the I-search prompt

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 02:45:42 +0200

> I don't propose to install this change immediately.
> Please try this out for a while.

Thanks Juri.  I've tried your patch and I think that is a step forward.

However, on second thought, I think that the "failing" message is
actually unnecessary.  Looking at the echo area, it is obvious whether
the current search is failing or not (if it's failing, the unmatched
text will be on a different face).

Regarding the "search states" (wrapped, overwrapped, ...), I see that
we disagree :).  These states are currently inserted at the left side
of the search string, and I definitely would prefer to have them at
the right side, for the reason exposed in a previous post: avoid the
horizontal movement of the search string, which makes harder to
concentrate on the search string.  This is an important factor, IMO.

In the left part of the search string, I would put only the info that
does _not_ depend on the state of the search, i.e., the "I-search"
text and (when necessary) the type of search (word and/or regexp).

All other messages (i.e. those that _do_ depend on the state of the
search) would go to the right side of the search string (as "[flag1
flag2 ...]"), for the reason already explained.

Just my opinion...

Thanks.

-- 
Dani Moncayo