Subject: bug#12065: 24.1; `custom-magic-show': set to "no", cannot get back again

From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2016 17:03:51 -0700 (PDT)

> > emacs -Q
> >
> > M-x customize-option custom-magic-show
> >
> > Change the value to "no" using Value Menu.
> > Choose Set for Current Session.
> >
> > You can never change it back to another value, because there is no State
> > button.
> 
> Apart from doing a setq manually, there is an "Apply" (it's labeled "Set
> for current session" in 24.1) button at the top of the buffer.

Huh?  I don't understand how that means that this is not a bug.
You might not have the will or resources to fix this now, but
this certainly must be a bug.

If a user can change the value using the Value menu then it
should be possible to change it back again, _using the Value
menu_.

It makes no difference that there might be other ways to change
it back.  This bug is about using the Value menu (and then the
State menu).

The point of this bug is that using the Value menu is a one-way
street, exceptionally, in the case of this one option.  That's
not normal - why should this option be an exception to how
Emacs Customize works?  And if you change the value to short
or long there is no such problem.

Using the Value menu to change the value to no should make the
State menu disappear.  Period.  (And the State menu is used
for multiple purposes, not just to set the value for the
current session.)