Subject: bug#12059: 24.1; undefined term "alternate display form" in of `format' doc string

From: "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 09:09:02 -0700

The description of `#' in the doc string is useless.  It just refers
to a mysterious "alternate display form" without saying anything about
what that is.
 
Either add that information (see the Elisp manual for it) or get rid of
any (pseudo) explanation of `#' and just point to node (elisp)
`Formatting Strings'.
 
IOW, either actually describe `#' or punt to the manual.  But please do
not give the impression that this explains something where it does not.
That misleads readers into thinking that they have been told what it is
and wondering why they do not understand.

In GNU Emacs 24.1.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2012-06-10 on MARVIN
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
Configured using:
 `configure --with-gcc (4.6) --cflags
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libXpm-3.5.8/src
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/libpng-dev_1.4.3-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/zlib-dev_1.2.5-2/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/giflib-4.1.4-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/jpeg-6b-4/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/tiff-3.8.2-1/include
 -ID:/devel/emacs/libs/gnutls-3.0.9/include'