Subject: Re: bug#12058: AM_PATH_SDL does not find SDL framework installations on Mac OSX

From: Jack Kelly <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 07:45:12 +1000

On Fri, Jul 27, 2012 at 4:38 AM, Stefano Lattarini
<[email-masked]> wrote:
> IMNSHO that choice of a name it is a serious mistake by whoever is
> defining/distributing that macro, for two reasons:
>
>   1. it gives the wrong impression that the macro is provided
>      by or related to Automake -- not true.
>
>   2. It invades the 'AM_' namespace, that should be reserved
>      for automake macros.

IIRC a number of packages used to define their own AM_PATH_FOO macros,
all subtly different. This is before pkg-config came about, and before
the AX_ namespace was widely used (available?).

> Back to you problem: a google search *suggests* that AM_PATH_SDL is
> provided by the SDL project itself:
>
> <http://wiki.libsdl.org/moin.cgi/FAQLinux>
> <http://lists.libsdl.org/pipermail/commits-libsdl.org/2010-April/002622.html>
> <http://www.libsdl.org/release/SDL-1.2.15/sdl.m4>

I don't have a mac handy so I can't go rummaging around in the .dmg,
but if there's a sdl-config in the framework you've installed, you
make be able to get freeciv to configure by passing an appropriate
--with-sdl-prefix flag.

So if you can make it configure, then the bug is with sdl.m4, which
should be looking for frameworks on OSX, I suppose. You may be able to
make it work with pkg-config (replace the call to AM_PATH_SDL with an
appropriate PKG_CHECK_MODULES call), depending on whether the
framework distributes sdl.pc and your PKG_CONFIG_PATH.