Subject: bug#12055: Re: bug#12055: 24.1.50; Characters "á" and "é" are not correctly displayed on a Windows terminal

From: Juanma Barranquero <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2012 18:49:33 +0200

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 6:42 PM, Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Does it help to say
>
>   C-x RET t cp850 RET
>   C-x RET k cp850 RET
>
> before typing those characters?  Do they display correctly then, and
> most importantly, does "C-u C-x =" report in that case the characters
> you really intended to type?

No. The problem worsens. Now á é are still incorrect, and  í ó ú ñ ç
turn into ¡ ¢ £ ¤‡ \207

Note: I see that at some point in the past I surely hit the problem
and for some reason I failed to report it, because I have this in my
.emacs:

(unless (or window-system noninteractive
            (not (boundp 'w32-ansi-code-page)))
  (let ((cicp (w32-get-console-codepage))
        (cocp (w32-get-console-output-codepage)))
    (w32-set-console-codepage w32-ansi-code-page)
    (w32-set-console-output-codepage w32-ansi-code-page)
    (add-hook 'kill-emacs-hook
              `(lambda ()
                 (w32-set-console-codepage ,cicp)
                 (w32-set-console-output-codepage ,cocp)))))

though that's irrelevant to the tests above, which are all -Q -nw.

    Juanma