Subject: bug#12054: 24.1; regression? font-lock no-break-space with nil nobreak-char-display

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 03 Nov 2012 23:00:35 +0200

> From: Chong Yidong <[email-masked]>
> Date: Sun, 04 Nov 2012 02:00:05 +0800
> Cc: [email-masked]
> 
> "Drew Adams" <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > So just what is the "most general read syntax for a char" now?
> 
> The literal representation of the character.  This should work on older
> Emacsen too, I think.

It doesn't, AFAIR: in Emacs before v23, an NBSP would be decoded into
a different internal representation depending on the encoding of the
file from which it is read.  That encoding could be explicit, using
the coding: cookie, or implicit, based on the current locale.  But in
any case, the result will only match NBSP in the same charset.  E.g.,
if \240 was decoded into a Latin-2 NBSP, it will not match a Latin-1
NBSP.