Subject: bug#12050: 23.3; font trashes mode-line file name

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2012 02:02:41 -0400

From: joseph patterson <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Subject: 23.3; font trashes mode-line file name
--text follows this line--
This bug report will be sent to the Free Software Foundation,
not to your local site managers!
Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your report will be posted to the [email-masked] mailing list
and the gnu.emacs.bug news group, and at http://debbugs.gnu.org.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug.  If you can, give
a recipe starting from `emacs -Q':

emacs -q -fn -adobe-times-bold-r-normal--0-0-0-0-p-0-iso8859-15 anyfile

The mode-line display of the file name is trashed. It consists of a
sequence of small narrow empty rectangles. The mode and line number are
legible and not trashed.
This problem did not happen in version 22 of emacs. This font is used
satisfactorily in the mode-line in version 22 of emacs.

If I do an esc-x-list-buffers, then the list of buffers has the
file names trashed similar to the file name in the mode-line.

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
For information about debugging Emacs, please read the file
/usr/share/emacs/23.3/etc/DEBUG.

In GNU Emacs 23.3.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.24.5)
 of 2011-08-14 on rothera, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11004000
configured using `configure  '--build' 'i686-linux-gnu' '--build'
'i686-linux-gnu' '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
'--libexecdir=/usr/lib' '--localstatedir=/var/lib'
'--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
'--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs23:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/23.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/23.3/leim'
'--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
'--with-x-toolkit=gtk' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
'build_alias=i686-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DDEBIAN -g -O2' 'LDFLAGS=-g'
'CPPFLAGS=''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: C
  value of $LC_COLLATE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_CTYPE: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  value of $XMODIFIERS: nil
  locale-coding-system: nil
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
C-x C-f r e a d m e <return> C-x C-f <return> C-n C-n
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n
C-n C-p <return> C-x C-f <return> C-n <return> C-x
C-f <return> C-n <return> C-x C-f <return> C-x C-f
<return> C-x C-f C-h C-h C-b C-b C-b C-b C-b C-k <return>
C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-l C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p C-p
C-p C-p C-p C-p C-n C-n C-n C-n C-n C-p <return> C-x
C-b C-x o C-n d d d d d d d d d x C-x o <escape> x
r e p o r e <backspace> t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
byte-code: Text is read-only

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/23.3/site-lisp/debian-startup hides
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sha1 hides /usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/sha1
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/md4 hides /usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/md4
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/hex-util hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/hex-util
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sasl-ntlm hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/net/sasl-ntlm
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/ntlm hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/net/ntlm
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sasl-cram hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/net/sasl-cram
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/hmac-md5 hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/net/hmac-md5
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/hmac-def hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/net/hmac-def
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sasl hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/net/sasl
/usr/share/emacs23/site-lisp/flim/sasl-digest hides
/usr/share/emacs/23.3/lisp/net/sasl-digest

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr message sendmail ecomplete rfc822 mml mml-sec
password-cache mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailcap mail-parse rfc2231
rfc2047 rfc2045 qp ietf-drums mailabbrev nnheader gnus-util netrc
time-date mm-util mail-prsvr gmm-utils wid-edit mailheader canlock sha1
sha1-el hex-util hashcash mail-utils emacsbug help-mode easymenu view
dired regexp-opt debian-el debian-el-loaddefs dpkg-dev-el
dpkg-dev-el-loaddefs devhelp tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type
mwheel x-win x-dnd font-setting tool-bar dnd fontset image fringe
lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar
mldrag mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev loaddefs button minibuffer faces cus-face files text-properties
overlay md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process dbusbind
system-font-setting font-render-setting gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)