Subject: bug#12028: Lock file name

From: suvayu ali <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 01:30:38 +0200

Hi Glenn,

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 1:17 AM, Glenn Morris <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Suvayu Ali wrote:
>
>> I am using GNU Emacs 24.1.50.1 (built 2012-07-21). I see the file naming
>> scheme for lock files is `.#<old name>'. I seemed to recall there was
>> trailing hash like this `.#<old name>#'. But on the Emacs help list I
>> was told there was no trailing hash in the past. So my request is, can a
>> trailing hash be added?
>>
>> My issue in particular is, the lock file gets picked by a glob like
>> `*.cxx'; with a trailing hash, this would only match source files. This
>> can be a problem with tools that only support very basic globbing.
>
> I don't think Emacs needs to change the (very long-standing) name of
> lockfiles for the sake of inflexible tools that cannot exclude dotfiles

I guess you are right. I use the tool only because I have to, it's a
real pain. :(

> (note that normal shell globbing does not match dotfiles at all). Emacs
> 24.2 will have an option `create-lockfiles' that you can set to nil to
> disable the generation of lockfiles altogether, hopefully that works for
> you.

This will work well thank you. :)

-- 
Suvayu

Open source is the future. It sets us free.