Subject: Re: bug#12008: Alphabetic sorting respect user's language and/or locale

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 18:38:19 +0300

> Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2012 11:34:53 +0200
> From: martin rudalics <[email-masked]>
> CC: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
> 
>  > How do you mean "independent of the system locale"?  We already have
>  > locale-independent string comparison: compare-strings, string<, etc.
>  > By contrast, sorting strings in collation order is AFAIK inherently
>  > locale-specific.  Or am I missing something?
> 
> Ideally, it should be possible to specify a locale-independent behavior.

I'm confused: what is "locale-independent behavior" in this context?
Do you mean the ability to request a collation specific for the German
locale when your current system locale is something else?  If so, this
is not locale-independent behavior as I understand it.  If you mean
something else, please elaborate.

>  > (And btw, AFAIK Dired doesn't sort, it relies on 'ls' to do so, and
>  > 'ls' uses 'strcoll' to sort file names.
> 
> I suppose this doesn't hold for the `ls' coming with GnuWin32.

Why do you think so?  The code calls strcoll even on Windows.